lunedì 30 novembre 2009

UNSU Training in the West Bank Shotokan Karate Dojo (Minnesota)


Hi Diego,
Here is my blog on training Unsu at our dojo. We have also just
started a Facebook page for West Bank Shotokan Karate. Search West
Bank Karate Club or West Bank Shotokan Karate and you'll find us.
Join us and you can watch a movie I made of people training at our dojo.
When I was a young man, and at the beginning of my karate career
decades ago now, I dreamed of learning the kata Unsu and flying high
in the spectacular 360 degree spinning jump. That kata was always a
dream in the distance as I put my best efforts to more fundamental
forms such as Basai Dai, Hangetsu and Nijushiho. Before I knew what
had happened to time, years had passed, my children have grown older,
and my body lacks the spring and easy healing of my youth. But, in my
middle age I have become restless, searching to find something that
can revitalize me and spark the energy of youth hiding within my
heart. I looked at new cars, maybe taking a long holiday with my
wife, or possibly an adventure on my own. None of these worked and I
felt myself searching for a new kata when I was training, but what was
I looking for?
It started a year or two ago after recovering form knee surgery, and I
realized that I had been training the kata Nijushiho for ten years and
when my instructor asked me what my favorite kata was my mind was
blank for an answer. After ten years of Nijushiho I found myself
wanting to learn something new and before I could take charge of my
tongue I replied, "Unsu sensei". I got a very confused look from
Sensei Nina Chenault and she said, "I thought you did Nijushiho?" "I
do sensei, but I think I want to switch." I replied. This led to a
discussion of how well did I know it, did I feel comfortable with the
jump or dropping to the floor after having knee surgery and was I
really sure that was the kata I wanted to learn. My heart kept
saying, "I'll try my best sensei."
So, beginning in August in preparation for a guest instructor, Sensei
Seth Rosenthal First PLace men's Kumite & Kata for the IKF/AAKF
national tournament held here in Minneapolis in June of 2009, we began
training the kata Unsu during black-belt only classes. We spent two
months with learning only the outside moves, proper foot and body
positions, and transition angles. This was a big hurdle for me since
I am almost 6 foot tall and weigh over 170 lbs, and have long legs on
top of it all. Since this kata relies on cat stance, dropping below
an attackers mawashigaeri, and jumping 360 degrees with a spin, it's
not an easy kata for a tall long-legged man. However, Unsu was
beginning to grow on me and I began to feel the spark of youthful
excitement that was propelling me to keep going, to learn more. For
the next two months I have been learning more inside moves, how to
properly transition between stances, from nekoashi dachi to sochin
dachi to zenkutsu-dachi, drop and get up and double pressing block
with kiba-dachi. All the spins and turns require inner thigh strength
and loose flexibility completed with resounding kime force on impact
of each punch, strike and block. When it's time to jump, I have found
the key is not height, but being compact, not easy for a tall man with
long legs. But, now that I know that I don't have to go high, my
fears of landing hard have diminished, it's all about timing. As long
as I open my legs, hands, and feet at the same time when I complete my
jumping spin, I land without injury and my 40+ year old body cheers
with glee! My middle age toy to regain my youth has been found, not
in a new car or fancy holiday, but an ancient kata that was always in
the dreams of my karate youth. I have found Unsu, and that's enough
for me.
So, the kata nijushiho will always be with me and I can always train
with it as my foundation and true core of my karate. However, I am
enjoying the youthful ride in a new kata finding joy with new
discoveries and reveling in the excitement of working on a kata
usually considered a "young persons" kata. I have lost weight, become
stronger and more flexible, but most importantly, found new self-
confidence in myself and my karate. So when sensei separated us on
the training floor, by each of us going to a section where others are
training similar kata together, I found myself alone while all my
fellow nijushiho people looked over and smiled. In my heart I smiled
too, regardless of how my Unsu looks, I am following my heart and
keeping my focus on my dream.
Sorry this is so late coming, but I hope it makes sense and is
enjoyable to read.
Take care my friend and keep in touch!
Tom Meagher

2 commenti:

Alessandra C. ha detto...

mi piace molto la parte in cui dice che neppure la prospettiva di una lunga vacanza con sua moglie serviva a "dargli pace" rispetto alla volontà di esprimere la giovinezza che sentiva nel cuore. capisco che il legame col karate può essere davvero intenso. e di certo non mancano le testimonianze di quelli cui il karate ha cambiato la vita o, almeno, è servito da aiuto per viverla. nei miei effimeri anni di pratica (circa sette, ormai) ho trovato nel karate una valvola di sfogo per tutte le emozioni represse e un modo per annientare i pensieri insistenti. ho iniziato questa "avventura" che avevo quattordici anni: pochi per capire fino in fondo certe potenzialità della disciplina, ma abbastanza per avvertirne la profondità. in ogni caso fin da subito ho sentito che il karate poteva essere la mia ancora, un appiglio che non cede, e dopo quasi due anni di inattività mi sono ben resa conto di quanto fosse vero, di quanto mi mancasse, fisicamente e mentalmente. la storia di Tom mi colpisce per questo, perchè racconta la forza che si può trarre dalla pratica. e ogni atleta prende dal karate quello che più desidera, quello di cui ha bisogno.

Diego ha detto...

Ciao Alessandra, è sempre un piacere leggere i tuoi post!

Posta un commento

Nota. Solo i membri di questo blog possono postare un commento.